Though the summer heat is still lingering in the air, I’m already beginning to dream about fall – especially fall fashion. I’ll gladly swap denim shorts, bare arms, and flip flops for skinny jeans, cozy sweaters and jackets, and boots! Fall fashion is already beginning to hit the racks, but you might wonder: how do I know what’s going to be trendy this season if no one is wearing fall clothes yet? Look no further. I’ve combed through F/W 2016 fashion shows as well as the collections of big ready-to-wear brands and designers to see what’s going to be in style. The boutique I work in is already receiving fall shipments, which gives me good insight into what kind of pieces are hitting the racks. If you want to know what colors, textures, and silhouettes are going to be in this fall, check out my list of the top 10 wearable trends for this fall!
- Suede – bonus points if it’s in an unconventional color. You can’t go wrong with brown or black suede, but it’s popping up in other hues too. This material is the perfect balance of cozy and luxurious.
- Color palette: rich earth tones (think deep orange, burgundy, mustard, and terracotta), dusty pink, and gray.
- Shearling and leather bomber jackets – take your outerwear beyond warmth and opt for something that’s chic too. Throw a bomber on over any outfit for an effortlessly cool look.
- Dark lace – swap out your summer white lace pieces with burgundy and black lace for a romantic fall look.
- Plaid everything – nothing new here, flannel will never go out of style for the cooler seasons. If you’re feeling adventurous, go beyond the classic button-down and rock a plaid coat or dress.
- Statement (faux) fur – furry collars and vests will keep you cozy-warm while looking chic and luxurious. Bonus: this trend will carry you into the winter!
- Ruffles – we saw this trend everywhere all summer and it seems to be carrying into the cooler months. This goes for the off-the-shoulder trend as well.
- Cowl necks – sweater weather is better weather, and you’ll stay even warmer (and trendier) with a little extra fabric at the neck.
- Fall florals – florals for spring is pretty obvious, but this year you’ll be seeing florals in fall colors and longer silhouettes as well.
- Capelets – what’s not to love about a garment that’s basically a wearable blanket? From preppy tweed to more casual knits, a variety of iterations of this trend are popping up.
I’m especially loving this season’s color palette (burgundy is my favorite color to wear), jackets, and dark florals and lace. Faux fur and cowl necks are not so much my style, but those trends are coming in swinging and will look great on a lot of people! Below you can see some of my own picks for the season so far, though I’m still out to find a few things. A list like this is great to take shopping – I highly suggest taking it with you if you’re feeling like a stumped shopper!
(Black Rivet jacket, Karmaloop dress, H&M dress, AE hat)
I did a post similar to this on the Thread blog, and took lots more photos with a variety of fall trends – so head over there and check it out for more outfit inspiration!